View Single Post
Old 05-02-07, 11:22 AM
NoReg
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Remember the way they bait bears when hunting is they put the footstuffs in a box that the bear can't easily get it out of, that way the bear hangs around long enough while trying to access the bait that you may get a good shot at it. So think of these three levels:

- "Attracting" bears, make a really strong bear attractive smell like cooking-off bacon fat, brings them in;

- "Baiting" Something that smells like food and holds their attention, like packs hanging from trees (good cause it opens up the lungs for a shot), tents, and "bear proof" containers.

- "Feeding" bears, something they can easily grab and make off with. Though one shouldn't do this, it is the one transaction that gets them moving away from you. Well maybe.

In Canada, or the UP you have little chance of seeing bears, or being bothered by bears, unless you are in a park. I live part of the year on a farm that has bears on it, and other than seeing their eyes at night out on the blueberry fields, in 47 years I have never seen a bear. I have seen their spoor right up to within a few feet of the house. Probably wouldn't be a great idea to camp in the middle of the BB fields with some bacon sandwiches, though.