View Single Post
Old 10-14-18, 09:43 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 786 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallin
I am on a student engineering team who is looking to build a bicycle for youth with cerebral palsy and wanted to know if anybody out there had experience with this. There are quite a few tricycle options out there, but we would love to build a 2-wheeled bicycle. Other than balancing being difficult, what other potential difficulties would have to be covered? If anybody has any comments, suggestions, or ideas please let me know.

Thanks!
My wife and I customized ordinary 2-wheel/store bought bicycles for young children with CP and Spina Bifida. My designed/built stabilizers, seat with torso and head support, hand pegs, pedal platforms with leveling, abduction wedge along with fixed gearing, formed handlebars and a pull handle allowed the child to receive beneficial physical AND emotional therapy. We had organizations absorb the cost of the bicycles so they were FREE for the child/family. This 30+ years ago.