Old 02-18-19, 05:26 PM
Shinkers

Bikes: '88 Trek 1200, '91 Trek 1400

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I've mainly ridden road bikes, and now have a cross bike for the off-road stuff.

30 miles of dirt concerns me. I've ridden the Katy Trail in Missouri for some distance, well groomed limestone. But, generally not on trails. Especially not for long

Note that I try to get the load behind the seatstays if possible.

That bike is setup with an old Blackburn rack, and the Blackburn Campy rear dropout adapters, and a set of P-Clips (also Blackburn?) at the top. It holds the rack fairly stable, but I do get a little overall flex. Most noticeable when standing and pedaling. One learns to keep the bike in line when standing and pedaling.

I'm slowly working on a new touring bike build, also out of a little more modern road bike.

The Tricross has 35mm tires??? and is a bit more of a rough road

But, even that is falling to a drop bar conversion of an old hybrid (Jamis Coda, double butted 520
Anyway, your old Trek should be able to handle the load (is it a steel frame?). Just get the load mostly behind the rear triangle.

However, are you comfortable riding your Trek on those 30 miles of dirt? Riding it on the dirt with a load?

Some suggestions are to distribute the weight front & rear. My next build.

I'm moving towards lightweight tents and sleeping bags. But the freezing temperatures are a concern for me. 40 to 50 degree sleeping bags?

I could probably tolerate freezing, but wouldn't really like it.
My trek is aluminum, but I'm not too concerned since the the rack will be attached at the hub and at the brake bridge. The brake bridge should see a lot more force than my rack will provide. I also really will only have a sleeping pad and bag on it, so it won't be loaded very heavily.

As far as the dirt goes, that will be a bit of an experiment. I've ridden some gravel canal trails around here (slowly) and I think it should be doable. The dirt road that I'd be taking is very hard packed and smooth if you just dodge the embedded rocks. Sounds hard, but I'm not all that concerned about it. It'll be mostly climbing so I'm not worried about going too fast and losing traction, and it's also smack dab in the middle of the ride. If I start up and it seems like it'll be completely impossible to do, I can always just turn around with little impact on the ride distance. I figure I can take that 30 or so miles slowly and make it out in one piece. I have excellent tires and wheels.

I will definitely get the bike loaded and go cruise around. Just as soon as it warms up and dries out a bit.

Again, thanks to all for the advice.