View Single Post
Old 09-11-19, 10:36 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
Sometimes certain Dura Ace parts - the 7700 bottom bracket and the PD-9000 and PD-9100 pedals come to mind - these parts are actually rebuildable. I personally value this option and will pay a little more for it. I have found that rebuildable Shimano parts can be adjusted really well and I feel that the time spent to rebuild them is worth it.

Often on rides I will hear the derailleur pulleys of 105 and Ultegra rear derailleurs squealing. The sealed pulleys on Dura Ace go silently for long periods of time. The 105 and Ultegra ones could be given a tiny bit of grease on the bushing which would quiet them for quite a long time, but a lot of riders are not enthusiastic about maintaining every little part of the bike.

I have heard that 105 and Ultegra pedals have cartridge bearings where you replace them as assemblies when they go bad. I'm using the Dura Ace PD-9000's and I did develop a creak in one of them when the factory grease sort of leached out of them. The rebuild process was not bad, it was relaxing in a way and I felt more confident about them after they were rebuilt. I was surprised though that many of the small parts are made from lightweight aluminum.

I also value the higher quality aluminum polish and exotic fasteners that are used on the Dura Ace components. I am not a racer, just a collector/rider who loves to tinker. With all the chatter on GCN YouTube about the classic silver components. I'm honestly surprised that Shimano hasn't resurrected the classic 7700/7800 look components to today's standards. People could easily apply clear "Crankskins" or similar "helicopter tape" to keep that pristine look as long as possible.

Last edited by masi61; 09-11-19 at 10:41 AM.