View Single Post
Old 10-26-20, 10:32 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8287 Post(s)
Liked 9,062 Times in 4,483 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
Understand. I am not at all impressed with the MTB thing, simply because so many say how fun it is, and can't wait to get back to it in 6 months. You know. After they heal up.
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
I think that's a big part of the gravel appeal. Most of the fun of MTB but less time in the hospital

Of course olde school MTBing was pretty much just slightly more difficult gravel riding, compared to DH, DJ or Enduro.

I generally stick to trails where you don't see anyone in a full face helmet.
I rode off-road motorcycles nearly every weekend for 10 years. I've ridden mountain bikes since the early 90s. I never had a friend or riding companion injured enough to be hospitalized or killed. I had a bad crash on the motorcycle once but I didn't miss any work. I had a bad mtb crash in 2007 but missed no work. 3 weeks ago I fell off the mtb but I wasn't really "mountain biking".
Road riding is a different story. Granted, my road clubs have a lot more riders than any off-road groups I ever rode with, but the long list of injuries and hospitalizations is staggering, including myself.

Mountain bike riding is fun, there are no cars to deal with, and people I have ridden with are generally more casual in their approach, rather than the drop everyone and risk everything 'tude some roadies have.
I always try to stay within my skill set and comfort zone, especially these days. You can't just hop on a mountain bike and expect to crush the same riders you crush on the road if those riders have mtb skills. Lots of roadies try it and hate it. It's different and it takes time to learn how to do it.

A tough 5 hour ride on a mountain bike with the right people is at least as gratifying as a tough 5 hour road ride.

If it's windy or drizzly or snowing a little an off road ride is a lot more fun.
Likes For big john: