Thread: Addiction LXXX
View Single Post
Old 10-26-20, 10:50 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3361 Post(s)
Liked 3,638 Times in 1,244 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Access to suitable riding has traditionally been one of the big reasons that I've been reluctant to get an MTB/fattie. I'm not really a drive-to-a-ride kind of guy - that whole process adds enough hurdles and stress that it's just not something that I want to do other than on special occasions.

If I'm riding from home, I'm about 6 miles from the usual meet-up locations - on a road bike, easy peasy. Bundled up for below freezing temps and rolling on big knobbies? Eesh - getting out of the door and riding there and back is probably enough to scratch that get-out-of-the-house itch. If I were to head out for a solo ride, which would probably be more frequent, it would either be sticking to the bike paths or riding ~7 miles each way to get to some wooded trails.
I mis-typed a bit there, the trails are 15 minutes from my house, but adding in the time of dressing, then getting all my stuff together and putting in in the truck is at least a 30 minute affair on a good day.

Also, if you are looking in to a fat tire bike, have you priced the tires for those at all?

I cringe when I have to ride my cheap ass Kendas on pavement. Ain't no way I'd want to ride a pair of ~$100+ knobbies on pavement for any appreciable amount of time.