Old 02-10-18, 10:28 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Here is the real issue: Either a person thinks that whole article is fake, or a person thinks it is mostly accurate.

Why anyone would doubt that there might be some nice sections of Detroit .... based on a few pictures .... whatever. I don't let the media think for me.

I used to live in Mouse Town, in Florida. If you ever see anything in the media about the city, (or any other city adjacent to Disneyworkld) you would think the whole state is vacation Paradise.

It is also the state where a lot of episodes of "Cops" are filmed, and which provides the greatest number of YouTube videos of stupid pranks gone wrong and stupid criminals causing mayhem.

I lived there and all around there for along time. I am a pretty cool character, who is generally comfortable in any setting, and I have lived in some places which would scare a lot of people.

At the same time, there were places in Orlando---some very close to downtown, six blocks form downtown, where I learned not to because there were gangs of punks who would cause trouble. I never couldn't get away, but it is no joke when you realize you could get seriously beat buy a bunch of punks just for just walking through.

On the other hand, I walked or biked 97 percent of the city and some of what good, some great, some very gentrified and big-bucks upscale.

I don't think they were lying in that article, just living in an oasis of securioty where well-to-do people lived and worked.

No one thinks the pictures of Detroit's bad sections are faked .... but no ojne shows the same sections for All cities I have been in .... and I have seen the bad side of a lot of cities.

if this was Baltimore, would you have believed it? have you ever cruised the bad sections of Baltimore on bike. it's scary. I have been robbed in Boston, seen the worst sides of New York ..... but If i said I bike commuted in any of those cities everyone would understand I didn't mean the most dangerous neighborhoods.
I just get a bad feeling when someone says they are motor free for 6 months and then within a few paragraphs says they started using Lyft and Uber in the first two months. In his husbands case it was they used the car option a lot. Then without batting an eye we heard the joys of Maven and car rental. Somehow that six months thing sounds like a stretch for someone claiming to be motorless for six months in the motor city. In the article the guy posted this, and then all about Maven in the next paragraph.

"For the first couple months we didn't have a car, my husband gamely joined me in biking to and from work. But once the season shifted and the mornings started getting darker and chillier, he decided that he'd rather take a Lyft to work most days. (I can respect the decision; cold bike rides in the dark are my idea of a good time, but not everyone's.) I joined him a few times, and in general, liked the experience. Lyft drivers tend to be really friendly, and by riding with them, you're supporting the local economy, driver by driver."

Now it could all be a misunderstanding of what motorless is to this guy but it doesn't sound what motorless sounds like to me. Just saying.