Old 07-14-19, 09:00 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Hold on now. First, let's recognize that so-ichiro has a very interesting bike. Grant Peterson designed. I'm not an aluminum bike guy, but the Radac were and are gorgeous.

It seems to me that the fork has a couple issues. The first is that a thin spacer/bushing has worn out. The second is that the bearing face (that is, the top of the crown) has been worn, possibly unevenly. If this were my bike and I had access to a machine shop I'd have the bushing turned off (taking care to take nothing at all from the actual steer tube. Then I'd face the top of the fork crown very lightly, leaving no groove anywhere. At this point, inspect and ask how confident are you that the thing is ok. I mean, it's an Al tube bonded into an Al fork in the first place, right (correct me if I'm wrong)? So if the tube itself is ok, maybe there's hope.

At that point, you might be able to find or fabricate an Al washer and an Al bushing to match the original. Light interference fit (that, you make the hole in the bushing smaller than the tube and use a press or temperature to fit it on). Or a slightly looser fit with epoxy to seat the washer against the fork and the bushing on the tube.

I probably wouldn't use epoxy to make up the bushing.

I'd inspect a bit more before giving up. But remember, your decision, your teeth. I've broken my jaw going over the bars on a bike, and its no fun.

Good luck!