canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by bikecrate
This weekend I was back in the Ocala National Forest. I had kind of a bad experience on Saturday's ride. The particular road I was on has a nice wide outside lane, fairly light traffic (compared to a city) but is high speed. I got buzzed a lot. First by a semi on the way out. Then three separate times by pickup trucks pulling ATV in a trailer on the way back. I have to think most of these were intentional. They seemed to make a point of riding their passenger tires right on the white line. My knee jerk reaction is to conclude the ATV population does not like cyclist. Then to add further insult, about a mile from the end of the ride a car passes close and gives me the horn. Such sweet rural people. Sunday was better. I went on a quieter road and had no incidence. Both rides were around 32 miles.
Maybe they were in a hurry to get to church.

But, yeah, ATVs... keep in mind most ATV activities are inherently damaging to the environment. They're already inured to that reality. It's a small step to being dismissive of other folks who pursue other activities. (I speak as a redneck in recovery, looking back in embarrassment at my younger self and selfishness.)