View Single Post
Old 08-05-19, 08:37 AM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by tallbikeman
253lbs this week and heading down. I noticed you are using a seat that looks to be maybe more prostate friendly. I recently switched to noseless seats. I have a Hobson seat and a Spongy Wonder seat. This is due to a prostatitis episode that cured from every worrying about people pointing at my bicycle seats and laughing. My noseless seats are quite comfortable but very different to ride. They don't touch anything except the sit bones. It has taken me a couple of months to get them adjusted and useful. Both seats came with the instruction to give them time to get used to them and set up. I'm very happy I tried these seats and will continue to use them. One of my bicycles is a revamped Schwinn Varsity from the era when steel is good and more steel is better. I would guess 35lbs without bags and water bottles. I lift it over a fence on a levee fairly often and count that lift as strength training. I have a much lighter Schwinn Sports Tourer and a fairly heavy Ryan Vanguard recumbent. They all do between 10 and 12 mph average on the roads I ride so weight has had very little effect on my overall speed. I live in a very flat land, a river delta area, so a heavier bicycle is not the negative like it would be riding long steep grades. A few years ago I got down to 220lbs and felt fine but hungry all the time. I'm trying this time to find an eating schedule and food that does not leave me hungry and yet keeps the weight off. In other words I'm trying harder this time. I wish you the best with your ankle problem. Walking is the single most important exercise activity that humans are made to do and not walking is unhealthy for you. I suffered planar fasciitis last year and couldn't hike or walk any distance without severe pain. Making up for it this year though and very careful not to trigger another episode. I wish you the best of luck concerning your ankle problem.
The Cobb seat was a gift from a friend, the seat has some interesting history, well, to me, probably not to others. As to prostate friendly, I cannot speak to that. I know what little I've sat on it, I like it a lot, and it might be something I seek new for other bikes. Living at the top of a hill, buike weight is indeed a big dealt to me. Jumping off the 31 pound 29er for my 25 pound road bike, is a big difference, so the 18 pound CAAD8 is quite refreshing climbing with. I barely needed my smaller chainring the first outing. I do wish my RD covered the 12-32 cassette, or better the 12-36 I have. but the 11-30 will suffice for now.

I'm limited on foods. As a part of my normal diet I avoid the majority of carbs. Not truly Keto, but close enough it seems. I avoid sugars and a lot of overprocessed foods..

My summer of misery contines, I just finished a weeklong bout with Diverticulitis. Not fun and really knocked me in the dirt. But looking forward to a ride this weekend with my daughte and her hubby again. And a couple evening rides with a friend perhaps this week. Depends how much energy I regain!