Old 10-24-19, 02:20 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by subgrade
I don't see a problem with it as long he is using the road (and obeying the traffic laws, of course).

However, then have been sightings of people on e-bikes doing 30 mph on bike paths even here where there only a handful dedicated bike paths around. That is no longer fine by me. There is no seperate classification for e-bikes in our laws; a bicycle with a motor up to 250W is classified as a bicycle and anything above that is a moped (up to 50cc or 4kW) or a motorcycle if above that; the respective rules apply, regardless if it is electric powered or has a combustion engine. Obviously an e-bike that is capable of 30 mph falls into the moped or sin some cases even motorcycle category and as such is banned from use on bike paths and MUPs.

I don't know what the laws are in your neck of the woods, but here bicyclists must have a license too. It can be driving license for any other vehicle, or bicycle license, which can be obtained from age of 10.
This is -- as a cyclist -- what I'm most afraid of. As long as e-bike shenanigans don't encroach into traditional bike territory I have no issues with them.
Likes For KraneXL: