Old 12-18-19, 06:20 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by 2_i
For one it is very hard to get a flat with a studded tire. Second, if you struggle this is because you are presumably not very effective working with tires. There is nothing to be ashamed - we all learn. This video

How to get tire off without tools

shows how to get a tire off without any tools. There may be other similar instruction materials around. I would start with regular tires for the sake of training. From time to time I do it with studded tires for practice. In everyday life I am usually lazy and use the levers for speed, but just a little. You may say that rims vary and I presumably have the easy ones. OK, I do it with 16" tires too. On a small wheel you have far less margin than on large. Take your time, be patient, hands alone are actually sufficient.
That's warm weather and a non-studded tire.

Personally I would not use a tire/rim combination I could not easily repair at the side of the road. I had that happen to my in 1991 and I broke a VAR tire lever and another tire lever trying to get a tight tire OFF the rim. Since then if the tire/rim is really hard to mount, I use either a different tire or a different wheel. I do not want to be stuck out in the boonies or anywhere for that matter simply because I can't get a tire off the rim - especially in winter.

Edit. If I was buying a studded tire I'd take the CLEANED wheel with me to see how easy/hard the tire was to mount.

Cheers

Last edited by Miele Man; 12-18-19 at 06:24 PM. Reason: added another comment