Old 01-29-20, 05:05 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5999 Post(s)
Liked 956 Times in 730 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
The problem with helmet laws is like seatbelt laws. Police often go out of their way to enforce them in situations where it just doesn't make any difference. In fact, there are situations where seatbelts may cause more harm than help (whiplash, entrapment, etc).

On a few occasions, I've deemed that the helmet was actually more dangerous to wear than to remove, generally due to overheating in low risk areas.
I don't think that's a fair comparison. Allthough a seatbelt prevents people from beeing slung out of the car and landing safely on that truck full of hay that happened to pass by, in allmost all crashes it does a good job at limiting injury. The bicycle helmet is more like 'this is the only thing I can think of that makes me a bit less vulnerable, so I'll wear it.'

I would like to see greater helmet use, but would also like to see more people actually out on the bikes.
Which could make cycling a lot safer. I'm not going to tell people in a much more unsafe cycling environment than I'm in to ride helmetfree. But for the sake of cycling, I believe everybody should keep in mind there's no such thing as a bicycle helmet, it's a traffic helmet or a sports helmet. The percieved need to wear one doesn't come from the bicycle itself.

Originally Posted by livedarklions
A comment as insightful as a cat coughing up a hairball.
Not really. In general the trend of moving decision making to panels, committee's, boards and councils is a democratic issue.

Last edited by Stadjer; 01-29-20 at 05:43 AM.