Old 07-20-22, 12:50 AM
supernova87a

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Worth it to preemptively pay extra for threaded BB option on new road bike?

Hi all,

On a new Ti road bike from Litespeed, I have the option to request at the time of purchase a T47 bottom bracket, which I understand is a threaded BB and the main reason I'd want to do this is to preemptively avoid a future press fit BB creaking issue that can happen over time. (Default bike comes with PF30 BB)

(I am not super knowledgeable on this mechanical issue or religious about the BB topic as I gather some people are, but after reading/watching videos about it, I at least understand what the issue is).

However, it's another $250 to get this option, and not to say I'm cheap but I don't feel like spending yet more on something if I'm not going to run into this problem for a long time. Or if it's cheaper to fix the problem when it does come up some day.

Can you give me opinions about whether to go for this option? My current logic is, if it were so disadvantageous to have a press fit BB, why would bike manufacturers offer it? But maybe it's like printer cartridges, you pay less up front, but pay for it later.

Thanks!

Last edited by supernova87a; 07-20-22 at 09:21 AM.