View Single Post
Old 12-04-18, 10:50 AM
mikeread

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 23 Posts
Reynolds tubing dimensional accuracy?

I received delivery of some main frame tubes today direct from Reynolds. Because of past experiences (not with frame tubes) I always like to check things are correct as ordered, so I have given these tubes the once over.

All tubes are labelled correctly and outside dimensions are correct, they are all pretty straight too.

The tubes did seem a bit heavy (though I am no expert and they are all .8 .5 .8 double OS tubes so will be heavier than what I have used before) so I popped them on the scales and did a couple of quick calculations.

My calcs showed that the DT should weigh about 360g - it actually weighs in at 430g I then calculated that a .8mm plain gauge tube would weigh around 450g. I have 2 of these tubes and they weigh the same.

I have de-burred both ends and the tube wall averages just under .8mm at one end and just over .8mm at the other, which seems OK

Is this normal for Reynolds tubing? could they be plain gauge tubes or incorrectly butted? is there any way of measuring butts with simple tools?

Thanks

Mike