View Single Post
Old 12-01-20, 12:41 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2497 Post(s)
Liked 740 Times in 523 Posts
Originally Posted by d2hoffman
ok, any suggestions on where I can get a tandem specific fork?
I got a quote from one shop for $400 for a custom fork
I'm starting to put a lot of money into this old bucket of bolts, it has a lot of sentimental value
I'm willing to put it out to pasture, just keep it alive a little longer, and start saving for my next dream bike, a full suspension tandem
I personally would risk the Dimension fork. It wouldn't be my thinking that a modern halfbike MTB fork would be much weaker (if at all) than the stock fork of a 30 year old tandem. One thing only holds me back from a full endorsement: we still don't know how you managed to prang the fork on the Cousin It. None of our business, but if you are a hard rider, get the tandem fork and pay whatever they want for it. Gotta say though ... $400? If it were me, for that kind of money I'd look for a used Burley in perfect condition, around the same age as the Ibis. I've seen them used for not a whole lot more than $400. I bought one ('94 Samba) for a bit more than that, but only because the seller brought it to me so I didn't quibble with his asking price. Amazing tandem.