View Single Post
Old 03-29-18, 12:56 AM
ruudlaff

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Koogar
Thanks, Carleton. Second question first: yes, that's exactly what it's for, but it's not just a hole in the CS. Colby wanted a nice little home for the SRM magnet, which ended up as a a solid rod welded into the stay, which is then drilled out. We can do a no-cost delete if a customer has no plans for SRM, in which case our fabricator looks skyward and says a small prayer of thanks in Italian. At least that's how I picture it, even though I'm pretty sure he doesn't speak Italian.

Colby and I happen to ride pretty much the same 41.5 reach by 48 stack, and that's what this frame is. I call it "the manager's special" because, even after developing what we think is a pretty comprehensive set of sizes that gives most people good options, we didn't fit. But going through his fitting experience, Colby couldn't find anyone else who rides these proportions, so we tacked it on as an additional size for UCI approval instead of building the geo chart around a couple of freaks.
I've always been curious about this, but does UCI approval require a geometry and size?

I ask this because it seems really crazy asking pros who could be riding bikes with custom geometries to suit them to have to ride stock frames. Surely there could be an approval process where it is almost in principle with the shapes and materials, and with the geometry subject to change?