View Single Post
Old 09-27-20, 05:51 PM
5 mph

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I've ridden all winter for many years in the PNW, usually one long rain ride/week on Sunday. I ride rural roads mostly north and east of Seattle. None of them have bike lanes, many have no shoulder at all beyond the fog line. I don't ride most of these roads during weekday rush hour, though there are some which have no rush hour and are always safe. I ride as close to the fog line as practical. I wear a Hi Viz jacket and have a 300 lumen flashing tail light on my left seat stay and a 300 lumen white flashing headlight mounted on my left fork blade. In the past 20 years, I've never had a problem with a vehicle passing too close, meaning one that might have scared me into moving further right.

The trick is to have these extremely bright lights and to run them in the daytime. They get a motorist's attention, you bet. I have a DiNotte tail light which I bought many years ago, aren't made anymore. The problem with most tail lights today is that they are made to mount on the seat post, which makes them absolutely useless for most riders because even a small bag can completely hide them. I did find one light which fits my criteria quite well, the Cygolite Hypershot 350 Bike Taillight, available on Amazon and other places. They also make headlights.

At night, this tail light will be too bright pointed straight back - you'll blind overtaking drivers. Point it down a bit toward the road for night use.
Thats a great idea... the lights..
Also probably wise to not push it hard and pay attention to traffic and ride with safety as the main consideration .its the hills in this area that make it hard to keep a steady safe ride going ...I'm also going to drive my routes by car to see what the drivers are seeing

Last edited by 5 mph; 09-27-20 at 06:17 PM.