View Single Post
Old 10-29-20, 08:12 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Are you really that obtuse? What it means in the context of this thread (read post #1 ) is that the availability of 27.5 bikes from the major bike manufacturers is in decline. As each year passes the major manufactures are starting to phase out 27.5 bikes just like they phased out 26 bikes. Most people are going for 29er so that's what manufactures are going to supply.

...Parts and service items will be available for a long time. But that's not what this thread is about.
No I am not obtuse. Here, let's look at that post 1 again.

Originally Posted by dieterpi
I have a 27.5" mtb which is starting to show its age, and I have started looking for a replacement. (without a hurry)
It might be just me, but it looks like 27.5" is going to have same fate as 26"? All the new mountainbikes seem 29"...

I'm a bit hesitant of switching to a 29'er, because of the slight loss of manoeuvrability (perhaps nothing to be worried about?)
In that context, as you yourself agree, the OP could buy a 27.5 and have parts and service for their bike for a long time. Whatever is happening statistically in the market does not effect the individual once they buy their bike. They have it, parts are available, it should last a good while.

So... 27.5 within the OP's context is not dead, though that term is weak. More accurately, as I described in my response, it will not suffer from availability issues (parts) but may fall out of popular favour - if that is the sole motivating factor for buying a bike. However, rest assured, any bike purchased today will also fall out of popular favour in a couple of years anyway.

We can answer this two ways:

If you find a 27.5 you like.. buy it. There will be parts available for a long time - enjoy your ride.

If you find a 27.5 you like.. don't buy it. There will be parts available for a long time but 29 is more popular so you won't enjoy your ride.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 10-29-20 at 08:25 AM.