crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by calamarichris
Thanks Sal.
Yeah, I fiddled with the modern carbon bars, but the abrupt bend that give us such a comfortable & broad interface in the drops kind of narrows the possible range of brifter mount options. If you shift the brifters a little down, the levers angle down & back to the point of no longer working. I will fiddle with them more after l'Etape. But I do really like the look (and especially the feel when standing & climbing) of the drop-ins.

(These are the actual [noodly af] Scott Drop-Ins mounted on my Hot-Dog-on-a-Stick bike.)

As much as I loath him, I don't think we can blame Armstrong; he just happened to be making the headlines when brifters became popular.

This isn't a "marginal gains" difference. My standing form feels utterly transformed with these vintage bars. Feels so much more fluid, natural, and powerful than the unsettled, wobbly feeling of the carbon bars.
Rare to find, Modolo made a copy of these bars but with the top radius more like a criterium bar. Also stiffer than the Scott drop-in.

Regrets I gave them away along with a LeMond.