Old 08-27-19, 01:41 PM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
But at 6:00pm the first rain shower went through. I finished my dinner in the tent. Had time between that shower and the next to button down everything for the night but had to retreat to my tent again by 7:00pm. Rained off an on all night and more freight trains. I did not sleep well at all. Light rain at dawn. “Well, I cannot just sit here. I’d better just see what happens.” Packed and rolling by 7:00am again. Light rain and wet trail.

It rained most of the way. Focus, focus focus on mile post 23, the GAP high point again. Running 10 - 11 mph, head down, poncho flattened against me. Mile posts passing ever so slowly. Took surprisingly few breaks. “I cannot believe how well my legs are doing after 250 miles (two 61 mile days, an 85 mile day and a 45 mile day). Yikes. Keep going. It will all be better after mile post 23.

And it was. Back through Big Savage then “kick out the jams”. I was pretty soon running between 14 and 17mph. Flying downhill, 21 miles to my car. Cold and wet and highly motivated. No stops, no breaks. Crank, crank, crank. Getting a bit warmer, lighter rain, dry spots. Crank, crank, crank. Finally there it is - mile post 1. I had to stop for that photo. 1:30pm I had everything stuffed back into my car and was rolling east. Tired, heater on high, tall mug of coffee and going home.

Over 250 of these mile posts were a big part of life for a few days. The last one.

I’d done it. One real big challenge for me. And I was still strong. The Schwinn Voyageur just sucked it up and spit it out. Dirty, wet, tired and full of sand and screenings. But not complaining. Would I do it again? Probably not. Too much. Would I do an overnight again. Yeah, probably but I think I really like good long day trips with good shelter and numerous options each night. Am I glad I did it - Yes!. If there is a club for this, I’m part of it. I’ll not forget this adventure, and I’m getting more forgetful.

1987 Schwinn Voyageur doing "Drowned Rat"