Thread: 65-85+ Thread
View Single Post
Old 09-11-18, 09:22 AM
Miami Biker

Bikes: 2018 Cervelo R5 DA Zipp 404s 2014 Cervelo R5, 2012 Scott Metrix 10 Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 10 Posts
Hi again jppe -- glad I told you of my break as our are two different animals. Hoping hip replacement better and quicker recovery than mine.

For all readers, the key here is as we age -- and that means over 60 -- most of us get osteoperosis. I had it and didn't know it. While I had a hard fall off my bike, the break came right where my leg was the weakest as it turned out.

Word to all -- if you are over 60/65, please, please do a bone scan to test for osteoperosis. If you have it like most of us do, there are meds that can avoid further bone weakening and even strengthen the bones somewhat. The scan is painless and doing it may avoid a broken bone when you eventually fall which we all seem to do as sure as we break eggs to make an omelet.

jppe -- the steroid thing may not apply to a hip replacement. I replaced my right knee 14 years ago before started riding so not sure this phenomenon occurs with replacements. You will start riding when you are comfortable doing so (duh). Having a partner willing to go slow is the best way. Slow is the fastest speed you are comfortable riding. I did this for several months building up my confidence, comfort and strength including heart/lung and legs again. Seems to take at least twice as long to get back as you are off the bike. As long as you have your balance you can do it.

Let us know how its going please.