Old 10-10-13, 05:04 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by digibud
I'm only familiar with the trek and giant line and both of them have some really nice hybrids. I wouldn't be at all concerned with drop bars at this point. After a year or two of a high quality hybrid many people naturally find that they are being held back by the upright position and want more speed. Some never do and that has to be OK too. You can get a pretty nice hybrid in the upper ranges of any of the big three and if you want to go further up you can add some custom wheels. At the very least you can replace the stock tires with something lighter.
As always, a perfect fit with an appropriate stem trumps anything else. LBS often fail to do serious fitting on lower end bikes but the right stem length to ensure there isn't too much pressure on hands is IMHO the most critical part of bike fit. G'luck.
Cannondale had a series of "flat bar road bikes," the Road Warriors. My wife had a nice Road Warrior 800 - 3x9 shimano, 700x28c tires, V-brakes, carbon fork, pretty flexy Al frame, sparkly black paint, and about 20# in a smaller size. She really liked it, but after about 3 years wanted to try drop bars. We sold it and found her a nice steel Terry.