Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism

Bikes: fillet-brazed Chicago Schwinns, and some other stuff

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 165 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
While precisely sizing the chain is critical for wide range applications, telling someone to just shorten the chain can cause a ride ending failure and destroy the rear derailleur. The picture is of no value, it's not even clear that it's on the biggest cog. If the chain is too short on the big-big combination and the cyclist shifts into that combination, the rear derailleur will fail catastrophically. While factory ratings can be exceeded with careful installation, the big-big combination must have sufficient chain length for use when selected.

I was unable to fit a 12-30 cassette with the 105 nine speed rear derailleur and a triple. I was surprise by this since I had been able to get that combination to work with the 10 speed models. Have you ever installed this derailleur and use it with the combination you are recommending? Even if you have (doubtful), the length of the derailleur hanger is critical and can vary from frame to frame, depending on the model.
Could you use one of those hanger extensions that are sometimes included with crazy-big (40T) cassettes?