Old 06-14-19, 04:21 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
Garmin, Wahoo, Lezyne are poplar and decent cycle computers with GPS. They all have those that swear by them and those that swear at them. Make sure the device will handle any of the sensors you may want now or in the future. Power and cadence are two sensors that the very inexpensive ones tend to not handle. Also, some can control your lights, cameras and even radar (Garmin Varia) if you are interested. So if such does or will interest you, be aware of whether what you are looking at will handle it.

If you know how to navigate with out a GPS telling you where to go, you might look for ones that don't have maps. IMO, that just opens up a whole new avenue for potential issues between you and your device.

Besides, your phone can show you a map if you need to know where to go. Many times it seems like the biggest issue with GPS cyclometers is the connection to the phone and subsequent upload to a website. So for me a phone link isn't even something I'd want. Me personally, I'd want an alternate way to get data from my device besides the BT or Wifi connection. I'm still more than happy to manually transfer my rides to my computer or to the websites I use via a USB cable.

The only thing I really want from my bikes gps is a log of all my data and plot of where I went. Toward that, my Garmin Edge 500 has served me well for about 10 years and is still going strong.

p.s. Don't forget that your smartphone can also do just about anything a dedicated device can do. You just have to find the right App and the right sensors to connect to it. I just don't want my phone out there on the bars where it can get knocked off. Plus I don't want to be needlessly wasting it's battery when I might need it to call for help.

Last edited by Iride01; 06-14-19 at 04:27 PM.