View Single Post
Old 07-25-19, 01:40 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
It was 1978. I was 17 and working as a bike shop mechanic. I told my boss I wanted to build a pair of wheels for myself and was having trouble deciding what hubs to start with. He surprised me and said I should use Campagnolo Record hubs. I didn't think of myself as deserving such high-end stuff, but he pointed out that quality matters, especially in hubs. I followed his advice, and I used Super Champion Arc en Ciel rims.

Those rims left with the bike they were on when I sold the bike. Or maybe the bike was stolen. I don't remember, but the wheels did not fail. No wheel that I've built has ever failed completely. I have a pair of wheels I built in about 1983, for my commuter bike. They've been bashed on potholes, and the rear wheel has flat spots, but it's ridable. I retired those wheels last year.

I've built plenty of other wheels for myself and for other people. I now volunteer at a bike coop on Monday evenings, and I teach people how to true and build wheels. This past Monday, two people with no experience ended up truing their wheels, under my tutelage. They did fine jobs.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider: