Old 01-03-20, 08:14 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Seriously, clicking can be one of the more challenging things to sort out, in my experience. Such a pain. Frequently, again, just my personal history, but often, the place I think the clicking is coming from turns out not to be even remotely the correct place. It can be super hard to tell. Here are a few random thoughts on clicking sources in my own history of bicycles: 1) Be sure your foot or leg is not contacting the FD cable. Maybe it got bent and you did not notice. Done this. Check it out; 2) Check chainring bolts and chainrings--be sure everything is snug and copacetic-- a loose bolt can definitely click; 3) Check shoes, their fasteners, cleats, and cleat bolts-- believe it or not, these have been known to cause clicking; 4) Go over the headset--this is a quite common cause of clicking. Even with your specifics, it is still a possibility in my opinion. Dismiss it at your own peril. Maybe when you load the drive side, you apply the same type of force to the bars almost every time and are not aware of this--check it out: 5) STI shifters--definite potential clicking source; 6) Cable housings all around; 7) Put cranks in 3 o'clock (R) and 9 o'clock (L) positions. Apply significant force to pedals directly toward the midline of the bike--could reveal a BB click; 8) Thoroughly check out seat/tube/rear light and housing, front lights and housing, helmet light and housing, any cameras; 9) I am assuming frame is CF--take the non-cutting end of a dinner knife and gently but not too gently, tap the entirety of the frame; 10) Be sure it is not a zipper or clothing fastener--sounds crazy, but guy on here recently found that as cause; 11) RD cable, rear drivetrain;12) Last and funniest one. Few months ago, after fixing my bottle cage rattling problem (bolts had loosened over time), I started hearing a new, fairly quiet clicking sound. Looked everywhere. Know what it was? The inner headband of my poc helmet, moving ever-so-slightly with each pedal stroke--from time to time. It did not sound like it was coming from my helmet/head region--it sounded like it was coming from the front wheel area. Hilarious.

That's all I know. I am sure smarter people have more. As for the temperature thing, perhaps a resident metallurgist or carbon fiberologist could weigh in, but it seems poosible that temp-induced shifts in bike component flex/expansion-contraction or sizing or friction or whatever could be I suppose playing some kind of role. But that really doesn't really matter in my view. You have a clicking issue and you need to isolate it the same way anyone else would Just my take and YMMV, of course.
Likes For bpcyclist: