Old 04-01-20, 08:55 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 533 Posts
Originally Posted by 63rickert
I tried twice with modern Shimano freewheels. There is no connection at all between vintage and modern freewheels. Last time was about a year ago with fresh inventory. Does not work. I’ve no idea what those on this board who say it does work might be doing. Sunrace quality was so low so long there’s no reason to offer them the benefit of the doubt.

Is there a shortage of NOS freewheels? Price paid varies a lot but I’ve never encountered difficulty finding them?
Vintage derailleurs and vintage chain work best with vintage freewheels.
There is no shortage of vintage freewheels, I got a bunch of them sitting in boxes, but they aren’t cheap, and other then esthetics, see no reason to use one in any of my builds, mainly because I actually ride them
I agree with you, on the Sunrace freewheels, quality can be dismal, and really no improvement in shifting. The shimano is not as pretty as my old Regina and SunTour models, but I think I see your problem why the Shimano doesn’t work for you, Assuming it’s just not esthetics. I know this is CV, but you have to be willing to ditch the vintage chain.
Vintage derailleurs work better with a modern freewheel and a newer chain. If your not willing to switch chains, moot point. Of course, we me be talking about different stages of vintage derailleurs, mine only go back to the late 70s
Tim

Last edited by tkamd73; 04-01-20 at 09:14 AM.
Likes For tkamd73: