View Single Post
Old 04-07-20, 08:02 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by KC8QVO
Looks like a pop-up framed tent version of a Paul Elkins contraption. I like it.

Do you have a link to where you found it? EDIT: NM - I found it. Kamp-Rite Midget Bushtrekka. Looks like it was discontinued. According to reviews on Amazon and some other article reviews - the design was flawed. There are a lot of reports of wheel bushing failures.

I am not sure how many would consider using one of those. It all depends on how the individual views "practicality". I can see where most would absolutely not consider that "practical". However - if that is convenient, quick, and easy to set up and take down - faster than a traditional pole style dome, or otherwise, tent with the same level of protection - I can see where it would have a significant benefit. As to what pulling that trailer would do do rolling resistance and wind resistance - that might be the trade-off. It would be interesting to see, though.

Apparently there was a problem with the bushings.

https://gearinstitute.com/gear-spott...mping-trailer/
"So what went wrong?

Unable to reach the manufacturer, we looked at personal experiences of people who purchased the Bushtrekka. The stories are all the same: one specific part failed each time, and that’s a shame because every site that still has remnants of the product on its website boasts a “100% guarantee against faulty materials.” It appears there was a “mission critical” part failure in the bushings that hold the axles for the wheel assemblies; i.e. they fell apart.

Those who purchased it even describe their positive experiences and hope for a fix! Someone even demonstrated on YouTube in two shorts videos where these bushings fail, hoping someone at the manufacturer’s would see and fix. And yet, a reviewer named drfoss appears to have fixed the problem and even offers his email to ask questions about how to replicate the fix on your own unit. His final words: “Trailer pulls like a dream.” What’s more is that going through the comments, we discovered another successful dweller who said “I lived in this for a year in Elkhart, IN, 40 below sleeping bag and zip up the rain liner and warm as toast.[sic]”

So, the Bushtrekka proved that it is possible to create a portable towed shelter fit for taking the trails with a bike. Too bad the units had one design flaw that, according to one person, was an easy fix. Yet, the discontinuation of this product continues to mystify those looking for a versatile solution to crossing large stretches of wild America, but desire more than uneven ground and the volume that just a couple of saddlebags can fit."

https://www.extrahyperactive.com/201...te-midget.html

Here's the tent without the trailer.

Cheers