Old 11-11-19, 04:49 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by wipekitty
I've been year-round for a while. The last six years were a short commute in western Wisconsin, and this year is a longer (18-20 mile RT) in North Carolina.

I didn't even bring my winter bike down here, though I brought a gravel bike and set of studs just in case of ice. So far, I pulled out the Level 1 Winter gear, but haven't used any of it other than the tights. I doubt I'll get below Level 1, but brought some Level 2 just in case.
I doubt I'll need the ski goggles, but one never knows.

I think winter commuting here will be lovely and delightful!
Originally Posted by wipekitty
I'm going to miss winter this year...just a little bit

I did bring a pair of lightly studded tires down to North Carolina - it will be priceless to see the looks if there is actually snow or ice
Hi @wipekitty,

I note that you describe winter clothing in levels 1 and 2...any more? I have posted about my apparel for all year round cycling as levels 1 to 6.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
"Winter is right around the corner"

On several threads, I have posted my slogan for winter riding, “Gear and Gumption,” obviously mostly clothing. For me, it takes a while to make the transition between warm and cold and vice versa.

As for the bicycle, the definitive transition to winter is mounting the studded tires, early in December, and removal signals winter is over, usually in late March.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
The way I organize my winter dress is by levels (link), 1 to 6. (I got that scale from whitewater rafting, where difficulty of a river is rated from 1 to 6, and it works for me). The levels do not mean layers, but the combination of gear for temperature intervals, in increments of about 10 degrees F

The level makes the job of selecting clothing very easy for that decision to be made on the morning of a commute, without going outside. Sometimes I may bring along a piece of apparel from a higher level just in case.

The scheme is particularly useful at the change of seasons to remind me of what works. Also, I choose by ambient temperature and usually ignore the reported wind chill temp, because there always is a wind chill on the moving bike.
My sister-in-law lived for a few years in the Raleigh-Durham area, and I seem to recall that area was prone to treacherous ice storms coating the roads in Winter.

Keep us posted.