View Single Post
Old 09-18-19, 07:26 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,856 Times in 2,305 Posts
Originally Posted by jideta
So what exactly are you questioning here?

Your expectations and motivations. I work bike retail (for 46 years) and have tried to guide my customers in their dreams WRT what's really going on. When I see such an expensive choice for a little known item my red flags go up the pole. For me to have suggested these rims I would have wanted previous experience with them. Why? Because being the guy you will come back to I want to make sure I can give you the customer service anyone deserves. With no knowledge about a product, beyond the one sided marketing fluff and no relationship with the supplier/manufacturer, how do I do this and not risk loosing the shop's $? So I'm trying to both learn about your motivations and risk level.

My comment about art comes from my personal association with those who create art and the many discussions about art VS craft VS fashion. The subject of when an artist knows they are finished with the piece has been a topic I am very interested in. I build frames as a hobby (did the pro thing briefly a couple of times) and I deal with this same issue, when is the frame done. Is it when I'm happy or when someone else will approve of it? In my building this is further complicated by my painter's job and their standards. Again a learning moment for me, and maybe you and others who read this. My replies to many threads on this forum are often for the masses as well as the OP. Andy

Last edited by Andrew R Stewart; 09-18-19 at 07:28 AM. Reason: changed one word