Old 03-27-20, 11:33 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Two points:

First, always take responsibility. if you choose to run a stop sign, own it. If someone yells, though .... disown it.

Which is point two---there will always be people complaining no matter what. Those people are generally idiots---but even if they have a valid point, it is their point. Accept what is true, and discard the emotion. Ride on. I generally agree. When i choose to break a traffic law, I Know I am doing it, and why. Sometimes i wait at lights just to not soil the reputation of cyclists in general, because the next rider that irate driver meets might get ta bad reaction engendered by my bad action.

Sometimes I don't. Ummm .... so lane-splitting in Cali is ... obeying the traffic laws, right?

I find most traffic laws are actually pretty decent. And most states (I have only investigate the uniform traffic code for about 2/3) have laws allowing bikes to take the lane, and such. I try not to make left turns, but I have been riding in traffic for fifty years and they haven't killed me yet .... so Something works (of course, some folks would say this proves that something is Not working. .... )

It's kind of a grey area- officially tolerated, but not in the code.

From DMV: "California law does not allow or prohibit motorcycles from passing other vehicles proceeding in the same direction within the same lane, a practice often called "lane splitting," "lane sharing" or "filtering.""