Old 03-27-20, 02:36 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
In January I was ticketed for slow rolling a right turn at a 4-way stop with no traffic other than a single car behind me, which I saw in my mirror but couldn't otherwise identify.

It was a cop.

Later, reviewing my video, I realized he'd been shadowing me for a mile, waiting for me to make a mistake. He saw me come to complete stops where appropriate, because he was directly behind me. But he had a quota to fill on the last day of the month and pounced the instant I made one mistake -- which, technically, was outside his jurisdiction, on a street boundary shared with the larger main city.

I gave him the usual Idaho Stop explanation. He listened politely, and ticketed me anyway. No drama. But at least he heard my rationale.

I've been hit several times by cars, as a cyclist, motorcyclists, pedestrian and driver. The most dangerous place by far is an intersection. I've been rear-ended many times, usually at slow speed. But even a slow speed bump on a bike can result in serious injuries.

And the offending negligent driver always says the same stupid damned thing: "I didn't see you!"

Right. I'm directly in front of you at a stop sign intersection, lighted up like a Christmas tree. Didn't see me. Drivers who spout such BS should have their licenses revoked.

So if the only vehicle in sight is behind me, and the car is either approaching too fast or tailgating, I'm still gonna slow-and-roll through a stop sign intersection after checking for oncoming traffic from directly ahead and both sides. A $300 ticket is still cheaper than the thousands of dollars lost being struck by an uninsured or under-insured motorist. Texas liability insurance is minimal, half of which goes to your attorney. When I was struck and seriously injured in 2001 I was lucky to get $5,000, which didn't come close to covering my medical expenses. I was on a cane for the next 14 years, unable to work a full time job. More than a decade lost to a negligent, under-insured driver.

I don't blow through stop sign intersections. I've always slow-and-rolled. Which is why I don't join most fast roadie group rides, because they do blow heedlessly through intersections. So every "no-drop" ride turns into a grudge-fest with most of the group waiting impatiently for the stragglers who actually do approach intersections cautiously. Not worth the aggravation.

For now -- because I'm on 90-day probation -- I am coming to complete stops, foot-down when necessary, in the jurisdiction where I was ticketed. And I'm nervous as a cat in a roomful of rocking chairs, whenever I see a car behind me. Once I'm outside that ticket-trap's jurisdiction I resume my usual slow-and-roll practice.

Do whatever you believe works best for you in your area. And keep some spare cash in the bank and an attorney on speed dial for when you get caught. It's still cheaper than being clobbered from behind by a negligent driver.
Likes For canklecat: