View Single Post
Old 04-01-20, 09:27 PM
countalmaviva 

Bikes: 1985 Fuji League with S&S couplers, Bridgestone Regulus, and many others now between other legs.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 23 Posts
Cimarron build complete!

Friends!

I have just finished putting on the final parts for my 1986 Cimarron, and I'll share a few observations:
  • My BB is stamped with two numbers: SL505260 and 446. Anyone know what the second one means?
  • The head badge is stamped 1006, so it has a 34th birthday coming up!
  • The mid-fork low-rider mounts require M6 bolts. Everything else on the frame is M5.
  • I used Fluid Film for inside the frame. Note that this does not flow particularly well. I used a wad of paper on the end of a coat hanger to spread as best I could.
  • I think the bike is perfect as a daily urban commuter and grocery getter. I also expect it'll do loaded touring well. I may trim the ends of the Albatross bars, which are long enough to hit my legs with the bar ends during a sharp turn.
  • I used Deore XT M730 hubs. The rear was originally Uniglide, but I transplanted a Hyperglide freehub. Not too difficult, thanks to RJ the Bike Guy's excellent video: youtu.be/oaBQHCU9TDw
  • I'm using 7 sprockets of an 8s cassette, omitting the smallest. Indexing is perfect.

WHEELS

• Axle Nuts security skewers on wheels (Pinhead)
  • Hub silver Deore XT HB-M730 front hub (Shimano)
  • Hub silver, converted to HG Deore XT FH-M730 rear hub (Shimano)
  • Spokes black Alpine III (DT Swiss)
  • Rim black Rhyno Lite XL (Sun)

ADDITIONAL PARTS

• Rack front, black Tara (Tubus)
  • Rack rear, black Logo Evo (Tubus)
  • Kickstand silver anodized, rear-mounted (Minoura)
  • Saddle black plastic (Norco Bikes)
  • Seatpost Suntour Superbe Pro (Suntour)
  • Fender silver Chromoplastic Longboard Fender Set (SKS)
  • Stem aluminum extension, steel quill Suntour branded (Nitto)
  • Handlebar heat treated aluminum Albatross (Nitto)

DRIVETRAIN AND BRAKES

• Pedals stainless spindles Frog (Speedplay)
  • Crankset 165mm XD (Sugino)
  • Brake Deore XT BR-MC70 wide profile cantilever brakes (Shimano)
  • Brake Deore XT BL-M700 brake levers (Shimano)
  • Derailleur Deore XT RD-M739 rear deraileur (Shimano)
  • Derailleur Deore XT FD-M700 front deraileur (Shimano)
Thanks to all who answered my questions related to this build. Your generosity with information is much appreciated! (Will one of you let me know if you see this so I know I used the BB code correctly?)

@Bill Kapuan;
@AnkleWork
@Miele Man
@tomtomtom123
@ThermionicScott
@Jeff Wills
@blamester
@Retro Grouch
@davidad
@NHmtb

If anyone wants additional photos, just ask. I'm happy to post.

One more thing:
This is the original Nitto high rise handlebar. Look how thick that tubing is!!!

Originally Posted by countalmaviva
I'm guessing that some contributors to this thread may have seen this 1986 red Cimarron on eBay. Well, I caved and bought it! It arrived today, and the condition is just as in the photos -- excellent -- so I'll just post the main auction photo here:

The Araya RM-25 rims are this cool deep bronze color I've never seen and have almost NO wear on them. Minor scuffs on the paint. The seller said he thinks it's the original grease on the chain. I paid $550 before shipping and tax, which is higher than I wanted for this project but a fair price, I thought, considering the condition. That, and I'd been searching for mountain bike frames for nearly three months, and I think there's something called buyer's fatigue..I was ready.

I plan to make it a commuter and touring bike. I have done a fair bit of touring, but I have never owned a frame that would accommodate large tires with fenders and not have toe overlap. I'm excited! I'll likely throw a new wheelset on there with an 8s cassette, so I'll spread the rear triangle to 132.5 mm-ish. Front and rear Tubus racks. I'm thinking bar-end shifters on a Nitto Bosco bar. This bar appeals to me, because I'm going to use a Yepp Mini child carrier up front, and the bar ends will wrap nicely around the kid seat. I got the frame on the large side (this is a 21") for me because I like my bars high, and the long TT (23") will give extra room for the child carrier.

I'll post pictures of the build when I get it finished, and I'm happy to post additional photos of this bike as is, if anyone feels like it would be helpful for the thread. Thanks to all who have posted on this thread. Lots of inspiring builds, and you convinced me go for this bike. She's a beaut!

mparker326 -- was this possibly your bike? My seller is in Athens, TN. Your photo is no longer viewable... There's a sticker from the original shop: Travis Cycles in Massachusetts....
Likes For countalmaviva: