Thread: Joey?
View Single Post
Old 12-10-09, 07:55 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1429 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by Bekologist
what would make a JoeyBike route both more dangerous and less interesting?

let me guess:

you're riding in traffic that's predominately moving faster than you are, and there's no pedestrians you can terrorize?
Close!

Less peds for sure. You got that part. Cars are moving faster too. You win a cookie. Boring.

The route is 3 miles straight shot down Esplanade Ave. Only 5 traffic lights so traffic can get faster than I can bike at times. The surface is TERRIBLE but I feel comfortable at night on my 26" rubber under my LHT and a NiteRider headlight + rear blinkie + reflective bits. The right lane has curbside parking and is very narrow. Just wide enough for a mid-sized car if they drive in the door zone. Needless to say, I just take the lane and try to maintain 20 to 25 mph (depending on wind direction). If I run the red lights JUUUUUST right, I can avoid almost all traffic passing me at the tighter spots. Usually no problems. Crossing traffic can be rude once in a great while.

My favorite traffic technique was developed for this road years ago. Once a month or so, some nitwit in a car will roar up behind me as I control the right lane (right down the center more or less). Not another car in sight, but they will ride my "bumper" and honk at me even though I am kiting along at 20+ in a 30 zone so bumpy that most cars wouldn't want to go 30. So I move to the LEFT lane, same as if I were on a motorcycle, and wave them by on my right. The coolest thing is the look on their face as they WAKE UP and realize they have been an @55 and could easily have passed me in the left lane at any time instead of all the angst and horn blowing.