Old 11-11-17, 01:13 PM
salcedo

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Trek CrossRip

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Taking the lane at night in 45/55mph rural roads

The last two miles of my commute are on a straight 45mph rural road in central NY. The road has a very wide shoulder. So I usually ride on it. The last half a mile has a more narrow shoulder but still wide enough for a bike.

However, they never clean the shoulders during winter. So, it is icy and snowy most of the time. This leaves me with three options:

(1) Taking the lane and hoping that I have enough lights and reflective gear for cars to notice me. I feel comfortable taking the lane in slower roads that are nicely illuminated, but this road gets pitch dark and cars are usually speeding. I worry that a car might not notice me until it is too late to stop or swerve.

(2) Riding on the snow/ice. This is what I've done in past years. I don't like it because I feel unstable, specially when it is windy. I have actually fallen once or twice.

(3) Ride on the edge between the shoulder and the road. The edge of the shoulder is usually clean enough to ride. What I hate about this option is that it encourages close overtakes.

I don't have that much experience cycling. So, I thought I would ask for some opinions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg