Old 06-24-18, 10:02 AM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1799 Post(s)
Liked 2,334 Times in 1,378 Posts
Thoughts on lights (I can't recall all of the sources or I'd quote them).

There was some suggestion a few years back that blue lights were safer than red and it appears the majority of the police cars around the world have moved to having either exclusive blue or blue intermixed with red lights, not so much for when the police cars were moving but when they were on the shoulder (which after all you might as be because cars pass bikes like we are standing still). I have quoted from an Ontario press release from back when Ontario was pushing to cut down on the amount of emergency vehicles, (police, fire, ambulance and tow trucks that were getting hit when stopped on the shoulder). "The move to blue light embraces a Peel Regional Police initiative, which suggests that the inclusion of flashing blue lights greatly increases the visibility of roadside emergency vehicles and causes drivers to give them a wide berth, particularly at night."

Per our old friend Wiki "A study at Loughborough University in the United Kingdom showed that strobe lighting conveyed a greater sense of urgency to other road users, with the faster the flash the greater urgency, potentially helping to speed the emergency vehicle through traffic. It also concluded that factors such as flash pattern were important, with simultaneously flashing beacons attracting attention far quicker than alternately flashing versions, although this did increase discomfort glare. In general, as light intensity and the number of beacons present increased, the time it took to gain the attention of other drivers decreased."

Logically I would say have multiple lights, higher the better to start with (for a regular commute or touring the pole light ideas are perfect), then helmet, then seat bag and then fender. I'd add blue in your mix if it's legal where you ride (even if you can only have it flashing to the rear). Just remember that having a vest and lights on your back may save you if you have to get off your bike as drivers would see your bike flashers but not you if you have no lights on you.

100% for the warning that daylight can be worse than darkness, especially when commuters are staring into sunrise or sunset. Many many people do not see cars that have stopped let alone bikes due to glare.

In the army they taught that things are seen for a variety of reasons but it all comes down to this one point "Things are seen because they differ from their surroundings", The lesson here - be different and draw attention to yourself.

Lastly, if someone hits you (or worse), they and their insurance company are going to be fighting tooth and nail not to pay you or your estate. You want the witnesses to testify they could see you from a long way away and if this is a regular commute, people will remember you , at least they sure as hell will remember I-like-to-bike and his rig above and your side will have no trouble saying in that spot were you were hit, there is no way an ordinary and prudent driver wouldn't see you.

With the cost of good quality LEDs for bikes dropping all the time we are crazy not to have good quality lights (which reminds me I have to tear of my rear flasher which has been shutting off and replace it now!!)