bargo68 
Dedicated Detritus Dodger

Bikes: Some mighty fine ones at that!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by frogman
The key word is "infrequent". What is your definition of infrequent as applied to flats ? I use Gatorskins exclusively now. Not the nice ride as with GP5000's for instance but around here with the neglected roads and goatheads I was getting flats at a minimum of every other ride. Some rides I was getting two flats and decided enough is enough................
For me, getting 2 flats in a month is frequent. For reference, I usually ride about 150-200 miles a week, using several different bikes. As far as the Gator Skins are concerned, I had 700 x 28 Gator Skins and later Gator Skin Hard Shells on a Cross Check that I commuted on every day for about 3 years. I had them at 80 F and 85 R. Yes, they only flatted a couple times in that time span. I wore the rear tires pretty much to a point of being squared off and the wear markers long gone. I mean, highest marks for durability, but it wasn't until I tried 38mm Panaracer Gravel King slicks that I realized I'd suffered enough. They wear out MUCH faster, though. I think they have a 1000-1200 mile life span. But I've only had 2 punctures in that time and I commute through industrial neighborhoods and even on the side of highway 101 for about 1/2 mile each direction. You should see some of the stuff that winds up on the side of a freeway!
Anyhoo-if you can take the ride, more power to ya! My tuches gave them the hook.