Thread: Cruiser Gearing
View Single Post
Old 08-17-20, 02:13 AM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyclist30923
My Fito Madena came with a 44t chainring in the front matched with a Shimano 7 speed freewheel, 14 to 28t. After riding it a bit, I swapped out that way-too-big chainring with a Lucky 7 36t. This combo works way better for me, and I am able to use way more of the gears while maintaining much more consistent cadence and higher speeds. I would love to hear what others are using. Eventually I am planning to ditch the heavy one piece crank and install a lighter 3 piece alloy crank.
I wouldn't call a 44t big, much less "too big", they are typical of SS cruisers and rear multi geared ones. It's almost like the 3:73 of cruisers. A tad too slow for me, though. Last cruiser I got was a Nel Lusso and swapped the crank for the one on this old huffy hybrid I had with a I think 52/42 on it. Thing was almost as fast as the one I had years ago with a 62t crank. I swapped out the coaster for a freewheel. I have a bmx 3pc conversion saved for when I can build my DB Drifter1.