View Single Post
Old 10-11-15, 11:14 AM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Clothes dryers are a rare occurrence in Australia ... most people hang dry their clothes. We don't have one, and sometimes I miss it, but we've got 3 large drying racks now + the drying line attached to the outside of the house ... so that should take care of things.
I love hanging up clothes to dry and it makes me so thankful for the sunny, dry days when I do laundry. When I wash dusty things, I try to shake out as much of the dust as possible before putting them in to wash. I'm not sure if this reduces the number of mites that survive the wash but I figure it can't hurt.

Originally Posted by Machka
On American Thanksgiving Day ... what are you thankful for?
Hunger Games Mockingjay part II on November 20th! I ignored these movies until recently, when I started reading the books because my son has been reading them. They are really interesting to read. I love that they have a Thanksgiving-related theme with the Cornucopia as the locus of the most intense fighting over supplies and the national anthem has the lyrics, "the horn of plenty overflows." https://youtu.be/zvvfHmeKOJc
I don't pay much attention to popular media these days besides the news, but I think I'll make an exception for the Hunger Games this Thanksgiving.

Originally Posted by Walter S
For thanksgiving, last year I was most thankful for the Big Bang. This year I'm picking super novae (life needs heavy elements).
That's a neat idea, but I've been thinking that maybe more radioactive enrichment is going on in the core than we think. There's a lot of heat and pressure down there and free protons could become ionized and bond together with heavier elements in the presence of neutrinos.

Originally Posted by Ekdog
I'm as thankful as hell that I'm in a situation where I can live car-free.

Car-free at last! Car-free at last! Thank God almighty, I am car-free at last!
Amen to that. I must confess, though, that I've been using car sharing lately but I don't really feel like I was ever truly car free anyway because I can't get family members to move closer so I end up relying on them to drive to visit anyway. My hope is that bus lines in my area will continue to improve and maybe car-sharing will grow as a support for more people to go car free (or at least free of owning a car and driving as their primary means of transportation).

Last edited by CbadRider; 10-12-15 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Removed comment targeting another forum member