View Single Post
Old 07-31-16, 02:55 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by HamboneSlim

Oliver 30" portable band saw. It's "portable" because the new-fangled electrical motor means it isn't tied to a lineshaft, and can therefor be placed anywhere in the shop. Even the motor is portable; it's designed to slide out, so you can use it in other Oliver machines, rather than have to buy a separate motor for each machine. What'll they think of next, eh? It's all cleaned and ready for paint today.

Medium-sized bits are already painted. Just the wee bits still have to be cleaned up in the wire wheel. The wheels have new tires, still need to be crowned. I plan to mount the wheels to the outboard wood lathe spindle, and mount an angle grinder with a sanding disc onto the outboard turning rest. Should be interesting.
When I took wood shop in junior high, back when there still were shop classes, The Oliver table saw was a piece of equipment I never liked. In college I got to use a SCM Sliding table machine, with the pre saw to reduce tearout and everything… So cool. My favorite machine, I felt in control. In the other classroom shop I at least got a decent fence, those Delta fences were terrible.

I know Oliver has a big following, maybe the stuff I used needed rebuilding?
This reminds me, I really want a Bridgeport vertical mill.