USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
Originally Posted by Clang
It's easily bad depictions of bikes: lazy illustrators and sculptors who don't want to use reference so they draw weird frame angles, missing tubes (chain stays especially), brake levers but no brakes, hubs that look narrow and pinched, handlebars sprouting out of the top of the fork with no stem, drivetrain on the left, etc. The more respected the artist, the angrier it makes me.

Example: Note the bent fork, 0 cm length stem, cranks that aren't opposed, drivetrain not hooked up to the rear wheel, and the seat stays and seat tube meeting somewhere in the middle of the saddle.

Graphic designers aren't off the hook either. This has to be one of the most tone-deaf things I've seen. Clearly they wanted something to jazz up the plain bike box, and wanted a tire tread pattern. Unfortunately, whatever vector art program they were using only had a pattern brush with car tire tread. Cars running over a bike is not a good look, but what can you expect from Huffy?

Oddly, the other graphic caught my eye first. Where are these made? Why would someone want to sneak across international borders disguised as an unassembled bicycle? (that makes more sense to me than using a noun as a verb)

Some of mine have already been mentioned (uni crown forks, kickstands on bikes that aren't designed for transport, clamp on derailleurs, etc.). The thing that puts me off are gratuitously stupid (I'm supposed to be judgmental here, right?) frame designs. Yes, I mean you, Flying Gate, soft ride, y-foil, swing bike, and the like. I'm also no fan of Bio-pace and other non-round chainrings. I can't tell how many otherwise nice bicycles I've come across for sale and had to factor in the cost of replacement chainrings as I'm trying to determine if it makes sense to buy them.