View Single Post
Old 01-26-21, 08:04 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
I’ve found that sometimes clothing articles specifically designed for cycling (cold or warm temps) don’t perform well at all in the conditions they’re designed for. And, that articles NOT specifically designed for cycling...sometimes not intended for cycling at all...perform perfectly for cycling.

Edited to add a few examples:
I’ve always felt that mittens work better than gloves. But it seems mittens are taboo for cycling. Years ago I got a pair of Pearl Izumi “lobster gloves.” They’re better than gloves IMO. But still in temps below 35°F my fingers would still get cold in about an hour. Finally a couple years ago I picked up a pair of long cuff windproof mittens for $10 at the local close out store. They are so much better. I can ride 2-3 hours in temps in the 20sF, and I have no issues with controlling the brakes and shifters.

I’ve had brand name cycling winter pants. Have liked how they fit. But I’ve found that my wife’s old yoga pants work great! When they get too stretched out and fit her too loosely...they fit me just fine and keep my lowers nice and warm.

Best cold weather (below freezing) jacket is one I had left over from back when I would ski occasionally. I just throw a long sleeve cycling jersey over it and I’m good.

Dan

Last edited by _ForceD_; 01-26-21 at 09:04 PM.