Old 01-31-21, 08:59 AM
Robert C
Senior Member
Robert C's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Kansas
Posts: 2,166

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Your first step would be to research your state laws and decide if you want a motorized bicycle or an e-bike. In most states, they are different things. Then you need to research licensing requirements.

For example, while I ride an e-bike to work, I had the idea to go for higher power, mostly just to do it. I then saw that going for a higher power unit moved me into the motorized bicycle class. After speaking to the state police vehicle inspector I came to the realization that it was next to impossible to do. That was not a big problem for me, I have plenty of bad ideas that I don't act on.

Back to the point, step one is to checks the laws where you live. Generally, e-bikes, motorized bicycles, motor-driven cycles, mopeds, and motorcycles are all different types of vehicles and clearly defined in the law. Don't take the word of a person on the internet who is trying to play cute word games, check the laws where you live.

. . . and this is what I commute on, an e-bike:

Last edited by Robert C; 01-31-21 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Small grammar fix
Robert C is offline