Old 02-13-18, 06:27 AM
Saale

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Philphine
photobucket fails me again. the cargo bike i made had full suspension [...]
Really interesting looking construction, so you basically stretched a Y-frame MTB and added a rack directly to the frame with the free swinging rear wheel underneath? Looks like both wheels remained 26", correct?

Originally Posted by urbanescapee
I can think of a couple reasons you don't see suspended cargo bikes: [...]
I understand your concern on a mechanical level, and you would have to tune the suspension for a full load instead of an empty one, leaving it very stiff when empty, but if a well tuned full suspension makes a loaded cargo bike more controllable then surely it's worth a consideration, costs notwithstanding.

Originally Posted by Stadjer
The classic cargo bikes I know always had leaf springs. But it would take quite a heavy load to put those to use. [...]
That's kind of what I'm thinking. Well balanced when loaded, stiff when empty, but potentially preferable to stiff all the time.

Originally Posted by hermanchauw
The tire is the suspension. [...]
By that logic a motorcycle tire is the suspension, but I wouldn't trust a motorcycle or even a scooter with welded springs with my life.

I mean, I'm aware that there's a great difference in weight between an empty cargo bike and a loaded cargo bike, and that you can't possibly tune the suspension for all scenarios, but by my understanding of physics and engineering a suspension adjusted for load would leave an empty cargo bike almost like a rigid bike, but improve loaded ride comfort and ride safety, wouldn't it? I'd allow reality to prove me wrong if I ever come across an occasion, but I'd be shocked because in my head the suspension pretty much makes sense.