View Single Post
Old 05-17-19, 06:12 PM
88Tempo

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
The tektro aero-drop bar levers intended for V brakes is called the RL520. That number should be found on the back of the lever blades.

Thos levers look similar to other Tektro levers that are not designed for V brakes, so it is not impossible that you got a set of non-v brake levers by mistake. Check the number on the lever blade to be sure.

If they are RL52 lever, adding a travel agent-type device will only make it so you have to pull twice as hard on the lever to get the proper braking force at the rim, so it is not advisable. Work on your setup (make sure you have good cables and housing and that the pads are properly aligned.

Also make sure you have full length V brakes - shorter 'mini Vs' are designed for use with the same levers used for caliper and cantilever brakes, and V brake levers will likely feel stiff and give poor braking. Adding a travel agent to that setup will result in spectacularly poor braking, unless you install it backwards somehow.
Thank you for this information. I had bought a set of RL520 at the coop a while back (look like new take off) and was going to use them.

I'm still going to use them I'm just using them on a different bike than originally planned.