no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
One broken spoke is a data point, two might be a coincidence but 3 is a definite trend. You need a do-over.

If it was my personal bike, and the rim is in good condition (quite questionable), I'd replace all of the spokes using the existing hub and rim mostly because I enjoy the process of building wheels.

Unfortunately, one of the dirty little secrets of the bicycle industry is that it's much cheaper to buy a pre built wheel than it is to buy the components separately and pay someone to build the wheel for you. In fact, when I had the ability to buy components wholesale, the cost of the components alone almost perfectly matched the price I'd have to pay for the same components assembled into a wheel. People on Bike Forums frequently mock factory built wheels. The truth is, however, that the huge majority of bikes sold today come with factory built wheels and most work out okay. A new factory built wheelset is definitely your most cost effective solution.
This. If the broken spokes are all on the drive side you'd have been better off to go to Performance and buy another wheel. Their basic wheels have served my needs for years, just like they have for many others.