Old 01-24-21, 08:13 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3462 Post(s)
Liked 1,470 Times in 1,147 Posts
Originally Posted by cnickroot
I realize this is a years old thread, but the same problem exists now. I'm thinking I might shift my setup to 9 speed STI rear with the Deore line and friction on the front derailler.
I have a question for those using friction on the front and a brifter on the rear - where do you find matching brake levers - brifters? Do you just get a set of STI brifters and ignore the left shifter or does someone sell something else to use?
I am using a Campy brifter, not Shimano or Sram for the rear on my rando bike. It is the older Ergo version and the older Tektro brake levers are almost identical, using a Tektro brake lever on the left side for front brake. Running a friction downtube shifter for front derailleur. See photo.

Above photo does not show both brifter and brake lever very well, found a five year old photo that does, below.

If you have a pair of brifters, you should be able to use the left side for brake only and then use a different shifter, like either a bar end or downtube friction.

I use bar end shifters on my derailleur touring bikes, not brifters.

Until I compared this recent photo with one five years old, I had no idea that my handlebar tape had faded from the sunlight that badly.

Generally, it is preferable to start a new thread on this sort of thing instead of resurrecting a half decade old thread.