Thread: Use this tire?
View Single Post
Old 09-26-19, 03:53 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by cannonride15
Sorry, to me the picture posted by OP looks like the beginnings of the pictured tire in Heine's article.
https://janheine.wordpress.com/2016/...tire-pressure/. I guess we can agree to disagree!
I don't want to start an argument, but I'm not sure about "broken threads" in Jan's picture, either. The "loose weave" of the extralight casing is apparent right after they (CX Magazine) mounted up the virgin tire:

CX Magazine noted sidewall leakage from the get-go, so it wasn't going to take much sidewall flexing to open up more spots for sealant to leak out. Especially at the low pressures they were running.

Given the way the fabric is laid up, it's pretty easy to see which paths leaked sealant will take, given the chance.

I expect to see frayed ends flapping in the breeze when threads have truly broken. That's the kind of thing that should concern you and make you consider replacing the tire. Not what we've seen so far in this thread. I've had a handful of skinwall tires lose their sidewall latex and look worse than the OP's picture, but they hung on just fine until they wore out or succumbed to an unrelated injury.

That said, running really low pressures accelerates sidewall wear, so the pattern of the OP's wear indicates he should probably be running a bit more pressure.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 09-26-19 at 03:57 PM.