View Single Post
Old 10-15-19, 07:40 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by antdd
@ThermionicScott: Yes, I'm aware 32/36 is the classic setup, unfortunally the 36h choices these days are not that many anymore. Which of the above do you think would not work, what is the max. inner width I should look at when I still want to have 30mm tyres as an option?
An old audio electronics joke goes "Transistors have specs, tubes have guidelines." I feel like the same could be said of tire/rim pairings. Any 700C tire that you can successfully mount onto a given 700C rim "works" in a sense, but whether you like the result depends on your judgment.

For a range of tires from 30-38mm, you can't go wrong with your initial thought of rims with a 19-21mm inner width.

The width of the Stan's rim doesn't concern me as much as the short "G-height" and vestigial bead hooks. I'd worry that tires from the skinnier end of your range, inflated to pressures appropriate to that size, could blow off. The DT HX491 and Stan's Arch seem to be intended for tires at least 2" wide.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498